09 March 2012

Week 8: Usability Testing Begins

It's amazing, really, how much work goes into usability testing. Each test takes about an hour but there are many more hours that go into finding participants, prepping materials, testing technologies, reviewing the test afterward and evaluating findings just to name a few things. This week, I spent some time further refining the test plan and prototype. I realized that when a participant clicks through the folder grid, the folder tree should update at the same time; it's funny the things you overlook when you have been super involved in a project. I think this is part of the reason why developers don't normally do the testing too—they are too close to the project. I think I am definitely missing things and probably biasing my test results just due to the fact that I also created the prototype.

The UX team has a very nice spreadsheet it uses when conducting usability studies that I had to spend quite a bit of time adjusting for my needs, filling it out with my scenario and tasks. It has a macro that allows the facilitator to easily record time on task, which was helpful. It was also easier to take notes in a spreadsheet while also administering a test than I thought it would be. To that end, I conducting my first two tests this week and they both went well and took the right amount of time. There was only one failure of one task and I think it was due more to issues with the prototype than of the system design; the user just didn't notice that the squares I was using to indicate checkboxes were checkboxes. Once I pointed this out, she had no problem completing the task.  So I'm not sure if that really counts as a task failure or just a prototype failure.

These are supposed to be checkboxes, but they are a little too large!
On the plus side, both testers used the folder grid instead of the folder tree to drill down and select a content item; this is one of the major changes I'm suggesting to the interface so it was great to see people default to using it.

It was nice to start my testing with iSchool students and to be able to do in-person testing to work out more kinks, practice running through the tasks, and get better at reading everything aloud then asking questions. (It made me wonder after the fact if was supposed to get IRB approval but since these tests are for a company and not really UT, I think I'll be okay.)  The rest of my tests will be administered remotely, which has all kinds of potential for problems.  I ran though a technology test to try out Webex and see what kind of lag I was getting.  I think it worked out okay. I've included a short video of how the test will appear to me while the remote user has control of my screen. The audio quality is pretty terrible so I will avoid using my cellphone for these tests.




Next week will be more testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment